Thursday, November 03, 2005

November 3, 2005

Drawn with conte sticks. The quote is an exerpt from a longer poem by Patricia Lynne Reilly called "Imagine a Woman". This poem is a powerful piece. I have wanted to do something with this poem for a while, the exerpt I used here just seemed to tumble out onto the page for me tonight. It says: "Imagine a woman in love with her own body. A woman who believes her body is enough, just as it is."

I can see that this month is going to be just what I have needed to kick start myself again to get into the habit of creating on a daily basis. Even though I am exhausted both physically and emotionally tonight, I couldn't settle into bed untill I got up and did my piece for today. How crazy is that? *grins*

When I was designing costumes for theater I lived, breathed and slept creativity on a 24 hour a day basis. Since leaving theatre to move home to care for my mom, I have discovered other avenues of creativity, other ways to express it. But have been challenged to find the time to be creative on a daily baiss, to find the time to fit it into the routine of my life. No excuses really, just need to make it a living part of my daily routine again.

I so appreciate the feedback I have been getting. this type of creativity is so different from costumes. I have been creating in a vacum, not showing my work to anyone...not necessarily by choice, just that I don't have the same kind of network to share my creations with that I did in theatre. I had no idea what others would think of my work. I wasn't sure what I thought of my work. I just keep creating. So thank you so much to those who have taken the time to look at my November Art. I so appreciate your feedback. I have been so inspired by several of you over the years of visiting your websites. I appreciate the generosity of spirit you have in sharing not only your creations, but your techniques, thoughts, struggles, and wisdom. Thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great, Jackie! And you're right about the quote -- very powerful. I struggle with that a lot as I've put on more lbs. since turning 40 (... just like my older sister said I would!). I love the colors you used, too.

I feel the same way about the things that AEM is tapping into on the inner level, as well as the connections. I'm so glad I'm doing it.

Anonymous said...

this is fantastic jackie, very powerful. i love that poem too.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the Willendorf Goddess. I love that image. I've read the poem too, and found it powerful. Beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

Love it. Powerful words, too. AEM is a gentle gift, isn't it? Inspiring us to 'force' ourselves (in the best sense) to just LET GO and see what happens... :)

Kerstin said...

Just catching up Jackie and starting at the beginning :) This is a very powerful image and wonderful quote, wow. Having struggled with my own expanding body for years now I love how you captured this. I am always in awe of people who can just do a "little bit of art" like this even when they are tired and exhausted. Take care, Kerstin :)